Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Bit of Shell Facts

My shell was difficult to find. I've narrowed it down to be most similar to a busicon whelk. The family classification is Melongenidae. Found all over the east coast and the UK, they are generally a solid cream color, but the busicon whelk in particular has tan and white stripes. The structure is long and spiral, with a rounded spiraling head, and a long siphonal canal (the name of the opening along the side). They also have tubercles that develop larger and larger as they grow, and they have radula along the straighter sides. Radula are the file-like ridges that the animal used to move. The animal that used to inhabit this shell was a carnivorous sea snail that scavenged for dead marine animals. The only discrepancy I have is that this shell is known to be the largest species of whelks, ranging from 8-40 cm. Mine is, unfortunately for me, smaller that a quarter. In fact, this is not a picture of my shell, but one found that looks the most similar. After trying and failing, I could not focus in on my shell. I suppose I need micro-focus. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment